We're always looking to meet and collaborate with new artists. Keep watching this space for new job postings for our 2015/2016 season.
We are now accepting applications and resumes for the following positions in our 2015/2016 season:
Forum Theatre is seeking a Managing Director beginning in November 2015. As the administrative head of the company, the Managing Director is equal with the Producing Artistic Director, managing fundraising, marketing, finance, and personnel.
About Forum Theatre
Forum Theatre produces adventurous, relevant, and challenging plays from a diversity of voices that inspire discussion and build community -- and that are accessible, affordable, and entertaining. Forum Theatre is entering its 12th season having made a substantial impact on the DC theatre scene and is beginning to garner national recognition for both the creative work onstage as well as innovative initiatives to develop new and engaged audiences around dialogue-sparking stories.
Founding Producing Artistic Director Michael Dove still heads the organization and has been the sole leader for a year and a half. The company seeks a strong full-time collaborator to co-lead with the Producing Artistic Director, both reporting to the Board of Directors. Together, the Producing Artistic Director and Managing Director as the company’s two full-time employees manage part-time staff, contractors, artists, interns, and volunteers throughout the year.
About the Managing Director
Key Roles and Responsibilities
1. Provide organizational leadership that aligns with the vibrant artistic leadership.
2. Manage the overall administrative operations, including budgeting, forecasting, and expense management.
3. Support the engaged and committed Board of Directors in strategic planning, fundraising, marketing, and other administrative needs.
4. Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward gifts from individuals, foundations and corporations, and government agencies. Work closely with the Development Consultant to implement the fundraising plan and to take over all fundraising tasks from her after a transition period.
6. Shape the marketing plan and strategies with the Marketing & PR Manager for the individual shows, the season, and the theatre as a whole.
7. Serve as Chief of Staff by overseeing HR, organizational structure, contracts, and hiring.
8. Serve as direct supervisor of Marketing Manager and front of house staff. Provide guidance to Associate Producer (who reports to the Artistic Director) on budgeting and other tasks.
9. With the Producing Artistic Director, serve as the face of the organization with all stakeholders and representing Forum in the community.
Who We’re Looking For
The ideal candidate will have solid administrative experience (and/or education) and a hunger to grow into a leadership role. A particular number of years of experience is not the dominant criterion. Leadership capacity, inventiveness, integrity, risk tolerance, accountability, and passion for Forum’s mission are significant.
Expertise and experience should include:
• Ability to cultivate, solicit, and steward donors at all levels, including some experience in fundraising from individuals, foundations, or corporations
• Experience to guide marketing, especially towards positioning the theatre to build community goodwill
• Skills in tracking budgets, revenue and expenses, providing oversight of financial performance against goals, and offering analysis of long-term financial implications of major decisions and partnerships
• High level of administrative skills to accomplish a broad range of organizational tasks and learn new ones on the job
• Ability to lead a sustainable business model for Forum that considers artistic purpose, financial ramifications, and the organization’s capacity and goals
• Experience with small to medium not-for-profit organizations, with strong preference given to those with such experience in the performing arts
The candidate should also have the following qualities:
• Exceptional organizational skills
• Keen attention to detail and strict adherence to internal and external deadlines
• An entrepreneurial spirit, a tolerance for risk, and a high level of tenacity
• Creativity, ability to react nimbly to change and accept moments of ambiguity
• Likeliness to build a productive working relationship with the Artistic Director, staff, Board, and artists
• A passion for bold work in theatre and a belief in the power of theatre as a force for positive social change
• Belief in the value of engaging the broadest range of people in a powerful shared experience of the theatre, including but not limited to the productions
• An engaging and open personality, equally comfortable with all the stakeholders of this theatre
The total compensation for this position is a $40,000 annual salary.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and 2-3 page writing sample (marketing, fundraising or other administrative correspondence preferred) to firstname.lastname@example.org
by September 28, 2015. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Forum Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operation.
If you are a local (Greater Washington area) playwright and would like to be considered for our (Re)Acts series of new works, please check back here for information on how to submit a sample of your work.